Using the FormatDate() Function

Admin1676454018

The FusionPro Date() object allows you to format the way dates appear. Below are some sample lines that show how to use the FormatDate() function:

// complete date - Ex: Thu Jan 12 2006 15:53:17 GMT-0800

return Today();

// formatted date, long - Ex: Thursday, January 12, 2006

return FormatDate(Today(), "ld, lm d, yyyy");

// formatted date, short - Ex: 01/12/06

return FormatDate(Today(), "mm/dd/yy");

• 1 month later...

This is the correct list of format specifiers in FusionPro 5.1 and later, which may differ slightly from what's listed in the FusionPro Rules System Guide:

• m – month number (1-12)

• mm– month number (01-12, zero-padded to two digits)

• d – day number (1-31)

• dd – day number (01-31, zero-padded to two digits)

• yy – 2-digit year

• yyyy – 4-digit year

• ld – day of week name (Sunday, Monday, etc.)

• sd – day of week name, abbreviated to three letter

• lm – month name (January, February, etc.)

• sm – month name, abbreviated to three letters

You can also use the following format specifiers for time values:

• H: hours (0-23)
  • HH: hours (00-23, zero-padded to two digits)
  • h: hours (1-12)
  • hh: hours (01-12, zero-padded to two digits)
  • a: either "am" or "pm"
  • A: either "AM" or "PM"
  • n: minutes (0-59) (new in 5.8P1k)
  • nn: minutes (00-59, zero-padded to two digits) (new in 5.8P1k)
  • s: seconds (0-59)
  • ss: seconds (00-59, zero-padded to two digits)

So, you can do something like this:

var myDate = Today();
return FormatDate(myDate, "ld, lm d, yyyy (mm/dd/yy), h:nn:ss a");

Also new in 5.8, an optional third parameter can be used to specify a language for month and day names. Currently, this supports English (the default), German, and French. For example:

return FormatDate(Today(), "ld, lm d, yyyy", "German");

• 3 weeks later...

Another date issue to solve.. I have field "date" that I have to print it, the day before it and the day after it on the same form. Have all of that functioning.. on of the examples is:

(IN_HOME_DATE in below example contains "11/10")

date1 = Left(Field("IN_HOME_DATE"),2) + "/" + Right(Field("IN_HOME_DATE"),2) + "/" + "2008"

//return date1

var myDate= new Date(date1);

//return myDate

myDate.setDate(myDate.getDate()-1);

//return myDate

return FormatDate(myDate,"mm/dd/yyyy");

Works fine. What I have to fix is:

If the result of the date is Monday and Monday - 1 day will yield Sunday, I need to produce Saturday..

Basically:

MyDate = Monday

MyDate -1 = MyNewDate

If MyNewDate = Sunday

then MyNewDate = Saturday..

I don't want to return the text "Saturday", I need to return a true date and apply the FormatDate function, read that to see if it will be a Sunday and If so use a (-2) in the calculation instead of a (-1)...

Another date issue to solve.. I have field "date" that I have to print it, the day before it and the day after it on the same form. Have all of that functioning.. on of the examples is:

(IN_HOME_DATE in below example contains "11/10")

date1 = Left(Field("IN_HOME_DATE"),2) + "/" + Right(Field("IN_HOME_DATE"),2) + "/" + "2008"

//return date1

var myDate= new Date(date1);

//return myDate

//return myDate

return FormatDate(myDate,"mm/dd/yyyy");

Works fine. What I have to fix is:

If the result of the date is Monday and Monday - 1 day will yield Sunday, I need to produce Saturday..

Basically:

MyDate = Monday

MyDate -1 = MyNewDate

If MyNewDate = Sunday

then MyNewDate = Saturday..

I don't want to return the text "Saturday", I need to return a true date and apply the FormatDate function, read that to see if it will be a Sunday and If so use a (-2) in the calculation instead of a (-1)...

Well, this is getting bit off the topic of the FormatDate function and into general Date object handling, but you can just add some logic like this:

if (FormatDate(myDate, "ld") == "Sunday")

Or, more "JavaScript-y":

if (myDate.getDay() == 0)

For reference:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Core_JavaScript_1.5_Guide/Predefined_Core_Objects/Date_Object

https://developer.mozilla.org/En/Core_JavaScript_1.5_Reference/Global_Objects/Date

• 2 weeks later...

Dan (or anyone else):

Got the vast majority of this working.. I've attached all files so you can take a peek..

The part of the rule that looks at the preferred Delivery Date and adds a day and subtracts a day works fine..

I can't get it to work consistently.. Basically, all delivery days for the form are:

1 day before preferred date

the preferred date

1 day after the preferred date..

UNLESS any fall on Sunday...

Could you possibly take a peek and see where I am going wrong?

Basically, all delivery days for the form are:

1 day before preferred date

the preferred date

1 day after the preferred date..

UNLESS any fall on Sunday...

Could you possibly take a peek and see where I am going wrong?

I'm not sure I understand the requirements completely. When you say, "UNLESS any fall on Sunday," exactly what is supposed to happen if any of the dates DO fall on a Sunday? For instance, if the "preferred date" is on a Sunday, does the "middle" date (DEL_DATE) get pushed to a Saturday, or to a Monday, or what? And does that mean that the other dates are still "plus one" and "minus one" in relation to that? If the "preferred date" is on a Monday, is the "minus one" date supposed to be pushed back to Saturday, or should the entire range be pushed forward to Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday?

Until you can provide more detailed and specific requirements, or at least a few sets of sample input and expected outputs, I'm not really sure what problem I'm trying to solve with JavaScript code.

I'm not sure I understand the requirements completely. When you say, "UNLESS any fall on Sunday," exactly what is supposed to happen if any of the dates DO fall on a Sunday? For instance, if the "preferred date" is on a Sunday, does the "middle" date (DEL_DATE) get pushed to a Saturday, or to a Monday, or what? And does that mean that the other dates are still "plus one" and "minus one" in relation to that? If the "preferred date" is on a Monday, is the "minus one" date supposed to be pushed back to Saturday, or should the entire range be pushed forward to Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday?

Until you can provide more detailed and specific requirements, or at least a few sets of sample input and expected outputs, I'm not really sure what problem I'm trying to solve with JavaScript code.

Well, I did provide examples in the attached files.. They really demonstrate the problem very well..

To reiterate, NONE of the expected dates will ever fall on Sunday.. It's the date before or the date after the expected date that COULD fall on Sunday that will have to be pushed to Saturday..

Expected Day is Monday

Monday minus one Day is Sunday - that is no good

So, if expected date is Monday need to subtract TWO days

else subtract onlt one day..

With the rule I attached it works well, but, when it happens (minus two) the next record (expected day is Thursday) the calculated day returns Tuesday instead of the anticipated Monday,,,, like a counter or variable fails to reset?

I am so very close but so far....

THANKS for you help....

Archived