Business Card help!

I am working on a fairly simply business card in Fusion Pro that will be used on a DSF site. I'm hung up on a few things and am hoping y'all may be able to help.

Issue 1

The card has the option to pick on of 8 different logos. I've set that up using a graphic pick list with a drop down menu and that's working fine. The issue is that within the address section. The first line will be the Company Name and I'd like it to

prepopulate based

on the logo they choose. It should look like the following:

Company Name

Address 1

Address 2

City, State Zip

I've tried to do it using formatted text resources but I'm missing something. Zip Files are attached.

Issue 2

This card is being converted to DSF from an existing Page DNA site so we're trying to match that look as much as possible. For the phone number section, there is room for 4 numbers but 5 options. So the page dna site had 4 different drop downs with all 5 options listed (see attached photo). I don't need this to function exactly like the page dna site, but I'm trying to think through other options. Currently I have instructions to choose up to 4 phone numbers and while it works I think it could be confusing. Are there any other options?

Issue 3

The phone numbers should look as follows:

Office: 000.000.0000

Direct: 000.000.0000

Mobile: 000.000.0000

Fax:

I have it set to suppress if there are empty variable and I've made sure to use hard returns, however unless I use 4 numbers it drops the actual numbers to another line so it looks like:

Office:

Direct:

As always thanks for helping!

Colonial BC.zip

ScreenShot2018-03-06at11_07.33AMcopy.thumb.jpg.55776040415060712af8729f76839e23.jpg

Edited by Dan Korn
Changed to regular text size; no need to shout.

I think most of the confusion here stems from not having an adequate sample data file to use for building this template.

It's fine to use the HTML Form Definition feature, but you should start with some "dummy" data that's a bit more reflective of what you expect the data to be when an end user fills in that form. Specifically, you should have some dummy data that has actual names that differ from the field names; for instance, instead of a record of data where the value of the "Employee Name" field is "Employee Name", maybe use "John Doe". This is especially true if you have a data field that's supposed to be a Graphic field where the value has to be a Graphic Resource name; in that case, you need to make the value of that field in your test data actually be a resource name, such as "Colonial Energy, Inc.", rather than just "Company Logo" as a value.

I also recommend having multiple records of dummy data, which can test various combinations of fields and various lengths of names.

I'll try to address your issues specifically:

Issue 1

I think you're going about this backwards. I don't see why you need a set of Formatted Text Resources and a rule to map the value of a data field containing the company name to a resource that just has that exact same company name in it. Instead of a text rule that maps a graphic field back to a company name, have a graphic rule that returns the resource whose name matches the value of a text field. (It's a one line rule; see the attached template.) The HTML form for this field is exactly the same, except it's a text pick list instead of a graphic pick list.

Issue 2

This is at least partly a question for EFI, since it's their DSF web application which decides how to present the HTML form you've defined in FusionPro. But I can speak to what's possible to define in FusionPro. I think you can get pretty close to what's in that other Page DNA form if you just make all of those "Choose label" drop-downs into fields in your FusionPro data. So you would have four pairs of data fields, where each pair has one field for the label (office, fax, mobile, etc.) and one field for the actual phone number. Something like "PhoneLabel_1", "Phone_1", "PhoneLabel_2", "Phone_2", etc. The attached data file and template demonstrate this. I've updated the HTML form as well. Note that the sample data has actual values that could be selected for all of the fields. (Also note that "Street 2", and all of the phone numbers after the first label/number set, are no longer marked as Required.)

Issue 3

This is an issue with your OnCopyfit rule. By default, OnCopyfit is set up for something like a letter or booklet, where text is nominally about 10 points, and it specifies minimum point size (the smallest size the text can be shrunk to) of 6 points, which is the third number on the first line of the rule. But you're starting out with 7-point text in the frame, so you're not giving it enough room to shrink everything to fit. All you need to do is modify the rule so that the minimum point size is smaller, say, 3 points. Also, for each paragraph in the text, you should apply the "Do not break on copyfit" setting (on the Paragraph Formatting dialog). The attached template has both of these changes.

-----

By the way, I would like to compliment you for asking a very well-formulated question. You clearly stated the end goal, including clear descriptions and pictures of what result you want, and included enough information for someone to reproduce what you're seeing. That's a big part of why I took the time to go a bit out of my way in helping with the template-building. Kudos!

Colonial BC-Dan-4.pdf

BetterSampleData.txt

Edited by Dan Korn

Thank you! That was such a help. I have everything up and running smoothly except for a few issues in phone number section. I cannot get the fax number to line up with the other numbers. Again, I know it's probably something simple but simple things aren't so simple to me yet :) Any ideas?

Also, the bottom phone number, no matter if it's used or not doesn't display a number. So if the number selected was the Hanger it will display as:

Hanger: Hanger

I'm attaching screen shots and the zip files, and again, I really appreciate all the help!

Colonial BC.zip

Screen Shot 2018-03-09 at 1.31.06 PM.pdf

I cannot get the fax number to line up with the other numbers. Again, I know it's probably something simple but simple things aren't so simple to me yet :) Any ideas?

This is a matter of setting up tab stops correctly. You have them set to every 0.125 inch. It should be at least as long as the longest label. I changed it to 0.4 in and the output seems correct. (Make sure you select all of the text int he frame before clicking the Tabs button so that the tabs changes get applied to all the paragraphs/lines.)

(Although, the copyfitting is making the numbers line up to the right side of the frame. If you weren't using copyfitting, then the technically correct thing to do would be to set the tab stop to be right-aligned, at or close to the width of the frame, 1.021 in. But that might make the labels squeeze closer to the numbers than you want. So sticking with the left-aligned tab stop is probably better in this case. The other option would be to use a table, where you can set fixed-width columns.)

Also, the bottom phone number, no matter if it's used or not doesn't display a number. So if the number selected was the Hanger it will display as:

Hanger: Hanger

Double-check your "Change phone format Rule_4" rule. You're using the "PhoneLabel_4" field. Change it to use the "Phone_4" field instead and it will work.

• 1 month later...
So I'm stuck on this card AGAIN. I used what I learned from this one and built the other 5 rounds of cards that were required for this customer, however, there is a problem with this original one. Everything views just fine in Fusion Pro, but when get it onto Digital Store Front the logo for Colonial Fuel & Lubricant isn't populating, all the others are fine. I suspected it had to do with the ampersand and have banged my head trying to figure it out. I put in a help request with DSF over a month ago and still don't have a resolution...my thought is that if it's previewing correctly in FP that it's most likely a DSF issue? Do you see anything in the files that could lead to problems?

Colonial BC.zip

So I'm stuck on this card AGAIN. I used what I learned from this one and built the other 5 rounds of cards that were required for this customer, however, there is a problem with this original one. Everything views just fine in Fusion Pro, but when get it onto Digital Store Front the logo for Colonial Fuel & Lubricant isn't populating, all the others are fine. I suspected it had to do with the ampersand and have banged my head trying to figure it out. I put in a help request with DSF over a month ago and still don't have a resolution...my thought is that if it's previewing correctly in FP that it's most likely a DSF issue? Do you see anything in the files that could lead to problems?

This is due to how the ampersand is represented in tagged markup.

Online systems, such as DSF and MarcomCentral, which use FusionPro Server, generate tagged markup data, because any FusionPro job can read it, regardless of the typed of the data source used to design the job (which is generally a flat file). But unlike flat (delimited) data, in tagged markup, things like ampersands and quotes have to be escaped as entities.

So I'm pretty sure that DSF is encoding the value of the "Company" data field with an "&" entity for the ampersand. So you rule needs to take that into account.

I think all you need to do is change your "Company Logo" rule to this:

return Resource(UntaggedDataField("Company"));

That will automatically handle both "flat" and tagged markup data.