Stopping a Composition in API Batch Mode

What do you mean "through the Batch mode command window?" How are you invoking FusionPro in the first place?

Are you using the Web Service API? If so, there's a CancelComposition method in the API.

Are you submitting the job with the FusionPro Server Manager app? If so, then you can click the Monitor button to see the running jobs, and from there you can select the job and click the Cancel button. (This will also work for jobs submitted through the Web Service API.)

Or, are you simply running FusionPro.exe by typing a command line into the Command Prompt window. If so, then Ctrl-C should interrupt the process.

What do you mean "through the Batch mode command window?" How are you invoking FusionPro in the first place?

Dan, I'm Cookin' Up a Batch! FusionPro Producer API

Are you submitting the job with the FusionPro Server Manager app? If so, then you can click the Monitor button to see the running jobs, and from there you can select the job and click the Cancel button. (This will also work for jobs submitted through the Web Service API.)

Where is this magical FusionPro Server Manager App? Are you referring to the Direct Monitor? Because that does not show running jobs that run through a command prompt window.

Dan, I'm Cookin' Up a Batch! FusionPro Producer API

Sorry, but I need more specific information than that. Let me ask again: Exactly how are you invoking the composition?

Are you simply typing FusionPro.exe and some parameters into a Command Prompt (DOS) Window? If so, then Ctrl-C will stop the process. If not, please describe in detail exactly how the job is launched.

Where is this magical FusionPro Server Manager App? Are you referring to the Direct Monitor? Because that does not show running jobs that run through a command prompt window.

It's not magical, it's part of the FusionPro VDP Producer API Web Service. This is a different system than the FusionPro VDP Producer (FP Direct) system. In any case, it only shows jobs that are actually submitted through the Web Service API.

I'm opening a command window, and dragging the data, DIF, CFG, and output files to the command window and letting it compose.

There is no folder containing documentation for the Web Service on the installed software that is mentioned in the Server documentation. ..\Tutorials\WebService is nowhere in the software folder for FusionPro Server API. Can I obtain this documentation somewhere else?

I'm opening a command window, and dragging the data, DIF, CFG, and output files to the command window and letting it compose.

Okay, in that case, Ctrl-C is what you want.

There is no folder containing documentation for the Web Service on the installed software that is mentioned in the Server documentation.

To exactly which Server documentation are you referring? What is the name of the PDF file you're looking at? Or are you looking at something else?

..\Tutorials\WebService is nowhere in the software folder for FusionPro Server API. Can I obtain this documentation somewhere else?

Again, I'm not sure what you're referring to. I'm not trying to be difficult; it's just that there are a lot of versions of FusionPro out there, and there are different ways to invoke compositions, and there are different versions of the documentation as well. You might want to update the version info in your signature, since you're obviously not using a Mac right now.

Page 29 of the FusionPro VDP Producer Manual:

"The Web Server files, installed along with the batch engine (FusionPro Producer API) and the documentation, are found under the installation folder at ..\Tutorials\WebServer."

That folder does not exist in the FusionPro program on the server.

Page 29 of the FusionPro VDP Producer Manual:

Okay. I thought I asked you for the name of the PDF doc file you were referring to, and the version of FusionPro with which it was installed. I'm trying to help you here, but if you're not going to give specific answers to my specific questions, then it's going to take a long time for me to be able to get to the crux of the problem and figure out what you're actually asking and be able to give you a helpful answer. Anyway, even though you didn't supply me with any of that information, I eventually found the text you quote in a file named "FusionPro Producer Configuration.pdf", which is installed with FusionPro VDP 9.2.

"The Web Server files, installed along with the batch engine (FusionPro Producer API) and the documentation, are found under the installation folder at ..\Tutorials\WebServer."

That folder does not exist in the FusionPro program on the server.

Okay, so that is outdated information which should probably have been removed from that PDF doc. Sorry about that. We do have a new version of this doc with FusionPro 9.3 which has more updated info.

I could dig up that old "WebServer" sample if you want, but it's specific to old-school Active Server Pages (ASP), which is basically an obsolete technology now.

We now have an actual Web Service API, which can be used with a more modern ASP.NET web application, as well as with other modern web technologies like Java. You should have received information about the Web Service API in the email from Support with your Server serial number. If you didn't receive that, or you need more information about how to get started with the Producer API, you should contact FusionProSupport@PTI.com. Support will be happy to help you out.

Finally, I will add that, even if you do have the full Producer API Web Service installed, the answer to the question, "How do I stop a job which was invoked by issuing a FusionPro.exe command line manually in the Command Prompt (DOS) window?" is much different than the answer to the question, "How do I stop a job which was invoked by a call to the Web Service API" or even "How do I stop a job which was invoked from the Compose dialog in the FusionPro Server Manager app?" The answer to the first question, which I think was the original question in this thread, is Ctrl-C, as I've mentioned several times. (I also answered the others: call the a CancelComposition method in the API, or click the Cancel button on the Monitor screen in the FusionPro Server Manager app.)

Edited by Dan Korn
Added distinction between Command Prompt and Web Service API jobs.

Dan,

We aren't using FusionPro server 9.2. We have version 9.0. The document I referenced is in the C:FusionPro\Manuals folder when you install the program on the server.

A lot of problems we deal with come directly from the lack of documentation and out of date manuals you provide to customers. This whole post could have been avoided if you had complete and up to date information. Also, make the manuals available to customers from your web site or in the user forum so we don't have to bother Alex to get them.

The Web Service API information was not included with our serial number for FusionPro Server API by the way.

Dan,

We aren't using FusionPro server 9.2. We have version 9.0.

Thank you! That is one of the key pieces of information that was missing here.

The document I referenced is in the C:FusionPro\Manuals folder when you install the program on the server.

It's actually "C:\Program Files (x86)\PTI\FusionPro\Manuals" by default (or without the " (x86)" part on a 32-bit machine). I'm not just correcting you to be pedantic; accuracy is vital here.

A lot of problems we deal with come directly from the lack of documentation and out of date manuals you provide to customers. This whole post could have been avoided if you had complete and up to date information. Also, make the manuals available to customers from your web site or in the user forum so we don't have to bother Alex to get them.

I apologize for the deficiencies in the documentation. All I can personally do about that, other than apologize, is to escalate your (perfectly valid) complaint up the chain here. Well, I'll also say, in our defense, that it may take some time for the doc to catch up to the program itself, but we don't always want to hold back releasing new functionality just for the sake of documentation. Or maybe that's not a good excuse; either way, I apologize.

That said, a lot of the problems that we deal with, especially on the Support front, are due to incomplete information from customers. I had to ask you three times before you told me the version of FusionPro you had installed, which, frankly, should be the very first piece of information in any question or problem report. Also, this may be hard to believe, but even though, as a developer, I have a pretty good familiarity with FusionPro's source code, I don't know the documentation by heart, which is why I had to ask for clarification about what doc specifically you were referring to. Again, I'm trying to help you, I really am, but you need to help me help you. Or, contact Support.

The Web Service API information was not included with our serial number for FusionPro Server API by the way.

Please forward that email back to FusionProSupport@PTI.com, marked for my attention. I will investigate.