Ampersand problem

jhaughey

Been banging my head against the wall trying to resolve an issue with ampersands. Our client is creating a business card through Marcom which has an ampersand. The filed in question is also being forced to upper case. Usually we would create a rule with the code:

if(CaseSelection == "allcaps")

Var1 = ReplaceSubstring("Title","&","&");

Var1 = ToUpper(Field(Var1));

return Var1

And that mostly works. Except that in this case the client is entering text that does not have spaces before and after the ampersand, and this is breaking.

When I check the "Treat as Tagged Text" box, the ampersand disappears. When I uncheck it I get the HTML "&" instead. I've looked at other threads here on similar topics, but have not been able to get anything to work.

Any advice?

Thanks,

John

Usually we would create a rule with the code:

Var1 = ReplaceSubstring("Title","&","&"); 

This line of code isn't necessary. It is replacing every occurrence of "&" in the string "Title" with "&." Since there are no instances of "&" in "Title," you can remove that code.

I'm going to assume instead that you want to replace all instances of "&" in a field named "Title" with an ampersand. I think this will do what you want:

var title = RawTextFromTagged(Field("Title"));
if (CaseSelection == 'allcaps')
 title = ToUpper(title);
return title;

• 11 months later...
This line of code isn't necessary. It is replacing every occurrence of "&" in the string "Title" with "&." Since there are no instances of "&" in "Title," you can remove that code.

I'm going to assume instead that you want to replace all instances of "&" in a field named "Title" with an ampersand. I think this will do what you want:

var title = RawTextFromTagged(Field("Title"));
 title = ToUpper(title);
return title;

In this case, if the field has no actual markup tags in it, you may want to use the UntaggedDataField function:

UntaggedDataField

var title = UntaggedDataField("Title");
 title = ToUpper(title);
return title;

Like its sibling TaggedDataField, UntaggedDataField figures out whether the data field value is already tagged or not, and handles it appropriately.