No Font Preview

psmosser

We have 2 machines here running FusionPro 9.03. Both Macs running OS 10.8.5

Using the exact same font set on each machine. On one machine the fonts preview fine. On the other the only font that previews is the USPSIMBStandard barcode font. Everything else previews except fonts.

I've checked to be sure that "Use local fonts" is on.

I've done "Load all fonts" multiple times.

I've cleared the font caches on the mac.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled FusionPro.

After each of those things I get the exact same thing. No font preview.

What else can I try?

I would first try doing a regular composition, not a Preview, and see what the .msg log file shows. If there are no errors there, then go into Acrobat's Preferences dialog box, under Categories, select Page Display, and then check the "Use Local Fonts" box.

The "use local fonts" option is selected already. I'm not seeing anything in the .msg file to indicate the problem with preview and the job composes fine. Just no preview of any of the fonts except the barcode font.

What happens if you uncheck the "Embed Fonts" box on the Output tab of the Composition Settings dialog and compose to PDF?

It still composes just fine and oddly enough all but the barcode font and Helvetica are embedded in the output. The preview is unchanged.

It still composes just fine and oddly enough all but the barcode font and Helvetica are embedded in the output. The preview is unchanged.

I would guess that the fonts which are embedded in the output are already embedded in the background (template) PDF, and are therefore carried over in the FusionPro composition.

Are you viewing each output file on the same machine it's composed on? What happens if you take the output from the first machine and view it on the second, and vice-versa the other way?

I would guess that the fonts which are embedded in the output are already embedded in the background (template) PDF, and are therefore carried over in the FusionPro composition.

Are you viewing each output file on the same machine it's composed on? What happens if you take the output from the first machine and view it on the second, and vice-versa the other way?

That was an interesting thought Dan so I looked into it. The only font embedded in the template is Futura-Book so the rest are embedding on compose. There's really not anything static in the PDF template at all.

We are using server so the composition is happening on the server not on the individual machines. That said they open the same on both Macs.

There's not difference in composed output from one machine to the other. Which makes sense given that the composition is happening at the server. Just the preview difference.

That was an interesting thought Dan so I looked into it. The only font embedded in the template is Futura-Book so the rest are embedding on compose. There's really not anything static in the PDF template at all.

We are using server so the composition is happening on the server not on the individual machines. That said they open the same on both Macs.

There's not difference in composed output from one machine to the other. Which makes sense given that the composition is happening at the server. Just the preview difference.

Okay, so can you try a composition on your local machine? Not a preview, and not a composition on the server, but a regular composition, right there in Acrobat.

Okay, so can you try a composition on your local machine? Not a preview, and not a composition on the server, but a regular composition, right there in Acrobat.

Yes. Here's what I get.

No preview.

Local composition output matches preview. (No fonts)

Server composition works fine.

"Error loading font ITCAvantGardeGothic-Medium(AvantGardeMedium). Text may not be composed properly. Error 537067605: The encoding (CMap) specified by a font is missing.

Error loading font Verdana-Bold(Verdana,Bold). Text may not be composed properly. Error 537067605: The encoding (CMap) specified by a font is missing.

Error loading font ITCAvantGardeGothic-Book(AvantGarde). Text may not be composed properly. Error 537067605: The encoding (CMap) specified by a font is missing.

Error loading font MinionPro-Regular(MinionPro). Text may not be composed properly. Error 537067605: The encoding (CMap) specified by a font is missing.

Error loading font ITCAvantGardeGothic-Bold(AvantGardeBold). Text may not be composed properly. Error 537067605: The encoding (CMap) specified by a font is missing.

Error loading font MinionPro-Semibold(MinionProSmBd). Text may not be composed properly. Error 537067605: The encoding (CMap) specified by a font is missing.

Job ended 08:12:54 - 1390396374.

"

Now I tried something else. I created a new blank document and imported everything from this template into it and then composed on it. None of those font errors occur and it previews fine. What would cause this? Keep in mind that it still works fine on the other machine running the same font set.

Yes. 11.0.06 on both machines.

Okay, thanks. Does one of the machines, probably the one where it works correctly, also have an older version of Acrobat installed? I'll bet that one has Acrobat 9 on it.

For the machine that does not have Acrobat 9 installed, you can fix this problem in any of these ways:

1. Install Acrobat 9.
  2. Find a file named "Identity-H", on either Mac, and copy it into this location: /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Fonts/Reqrd/CMaps
  3. Contact FusionProSupport@PTI.com and ask them for the FusionPro VDP 9.1.4 Mac installer, and install that.

Okay, thanks. Does one of the machines, probably the one where it works correctly, also have an older version of Acrobat installed? I'll bet that one has Acrobat 9 on it.

For the machine that does not have Acrobat 9 installed, you can fix this problem in any of these ways:

1. Install Acrobat 9.
  2. Find a file named "Identity-H", on either Mac, and copy it into this location: /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Fonts/Reqrd/CMaps
  3. Contact FusionProSupport@PTI.com and ask them for the FusionPro VDP 9.1.4 Mac installer, and install that.

#2 fixed it. That has been driving me nuts forever. Thanks Dan!