Horizontal Alignment Formatting Rule

Ryan_B

I'm getting some strange behavior from a rule I have written, and I'm wondering if anybody can tell me why.

I have a business card that allows the user to upload a headshot. It is not required, so if the user decides not to upload one, I want to horizontally center align a textframe.

This is the rule I have written to do so:

if(Field("HeadShot") == "")
{
  return '<p quad=C>' + Rule("RuleNameToUpper");
}
else
{
  return Rule("RuleNameToUpper");
}

The rule RuleNameToUpper simply puts the Name field in all caps. I then inserted that rule into the textframe that I want to center align.

I've tested it and it works as expected, except for one part. If the user does not upload a headshot, the textframe center aligns, but the font size is decreased. I've tried conditionally setting the font size with:

<z newsize="32">
//this is as big as I can go before getting the "red bar of death" at the bottom of the textframe.

But I can't get it the same size as the font if the user does upload a headshot. Here's the strange part: The font size set for that text frame is 12, and fills the entire height of the text frame.

This is how it looks when the user does not upload a headshot.

woHeadShot.PNG.a41f5d2d5bafaae45c056b7f678b22ac.PNG

This is how it looks when the user does upload a headshot.

wHeadShot.PNG.389a481d25f674562b9cbbc00cd45d33.PNG

I'm not sure how or why when the user does not upload a headshot, the font size decreases. Any ideas for a fix would be greatly appreciated.

The paragraph tag by default starts a new paragraph. In other words, adds a break. Making this small modification should resolve your issue:

if(Field("HeadShot") == "")
{
  return '<p [color="Red"]br=false[/color] quad=C>' + Rule("RuleNameToUpper");
}
else
{
  return Rule("RuleNameToUpper");
}