MarcomCentral (PTI) and FusionPro User Communities

MarcomCentral (PTI) and FusionPro User Communities (http://forums.pti.com/index.php)
-   Fonts (http://forums.pti.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   I'm Having Trouble Getting square bullets to display (http://forums.pti.com/showthread.php?t=3062)

Meir September 25th, 2012 08:54 AM

Getting square bullets to display
 
Hello,

I have had a template for a business card up for some time which uses Zapf Dingbats to display square bullets in line with versionable text. Previously, this would not work in enhanced view but displayed fine in basic viewer. It has been brought to my attention that the bullets no longer display in the basic viewer.

I have tried a few different versions of Zapf Dingbats but none will display. I also tried webdings to receive the same result.

When I had contacted support before they had told me they don't support it but it would work in the basic viewer. With that option gone, I need a new way to display them.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you,
Meir

Dan Korn September 25th, 2012 10:23 AM

Re: Getting square bullets to display
 
Please post questions specific to MarcomCentral in the MarcomCentral forum.

Meir September 25th, 2012 10:30 AM

Re: Getting square bullets to display
 
Sorry about that. I will repost my inquiry there.

Just for clarification, can you explain to me where the line is drawn between a font related question and a MarcomCentral related question.

I was under the impression it was a font related questions because the font never displays be it preview, composition, or in the storefront.

Dan Korn September 25th, 2012 10:45 AM

Re: Getting square bullets to display
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meir (Post 11207)
Just for clarification, can you explain to me where the line is drawn between a font related question and a MarcomCentral related question.

I was under the impression it was a font related questions because the font never displays be it preview, composition, or in the storefront.

You said in the first post, "Previously, this would not work in enhanced view but displayed fine in basic viewer. It has been brought to my attention that the bullets no longer display in the basic viewer." That's all completely about MarcomCentral. There's no "enhanced" or "basic viewer" in FusionPro.

When you say, "the font never displays be it preview, composition, or in the storefront," are you still talking only about MarcomCentral? Does it work in a preview in FusionPro Creator (Desktop) in Acrobat? If so, then this is still definitely a MCC issue. If not, then it's an issue in FusionPro as well.

Meir September 25th, 2012 11:05 AM

Re: Getting square bullets to display
 
My fault. Let me clarify.

Originally the square bullets would not display in preview or composition, however when I would upload the collected template to my MarcomCentral Storefront, I could get it to display in basic view and the press proof. It would not display in enhanced view. I should also note, I am able to view the font in the assets tab of the template editor in MarcomCentral.

When I had inquired about this before, I received this message from support:
Quote:

This has come up before, zapf dingbats are not compatible with the enhanced viewer. That particular function is licensed from a third party so we can't actually do anything about it. However we have had success when the image is flattened in photoshop, then recompose/recollect and reupload. Either that or use Basic view instead of Enhanced.
I cannot flatten it in photoshop because I need the position to adjust with the versionable text. The basic view recommendation had worked up until recently. It is now no longer displaying in my press proof or my basic viewer, and continues to not display in the Fusion Pro Web coupled with Acrobat. I do not have Fusion Pro Desktop on my computer.

I need a way to make square bullets display, regardless of what font. A square is a square and I can adjust its comparable size by toying with its particular font size.

Meir September 25th, 2012 12:55 PM

Re: Getting square bullets to display
 
Would making a graphic image of a bullet and setting it as an inline graphic work?

Not quite sure how those work exactly, I've never done an inline graphic before.

Dan Korn September 25th, 2012 01:13 PM

Re: Getting square bullets to display
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meir (Post 11212)
Originally the square bullets would not display in preview or composition,

Do you mean in FusionPro? If so, please collect up the job and send it to FusionProSupport@PTI.com.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meir (Post 11212)
however when I would upload the collected template to my MarcomCentral Storefront, I could get it to display in basic view and the press proof. It would not display in enhanced view. I should also note, I am able to view the font in the assets tab of the template editor in MarcomCentral.

When I had inquired about this before, I received this message from support:


I cannot flatten it in photoshop because I need the position to adjust with the versionable text. The basic view recommendation had worked up until recently. It is now no longer displaying in my press proof or my basic viewer, and continues to not display in the Fusion Pro Web coupled with Acrobat. I do not have Fusion Pro Desktop on my computer.

Right, but somewhere is a machine with FP Desktop which was used to design the job. That's the one on which I'm trying to determine if the job composes correctly.

As for the rest, that's all specific to MarcomCentral, and I can't personally help you with that. I'm also curious as to why certain fonts won't work there.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meir (Post 11212)
I need a way to make square bullets display, regardless of what font. A square is a square and I can adjust its comparable size by toying with its particular font size.

I don't know what's special about that font in MarcomCentral, so I can't answer that.

Dan Korn September 25th, 2012 01:47 PM

Re: Getting square bullets to display
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meir (Post 11213)
Would making a graphic image of a bullet and setting it as an inline graphic work?

Not quite sure how those work exactly, I've never done an inline graphic before.

Sure, just do something like this in a rule:
Code:

return '<graphic file="bullet.jpg" height=1000>';

Meir September 25th, 2012 01:49 PM

Re: Getting square bullets to display
 
Quote:

Right, but somewhere is a machine with FP Desktop which was used to design the job. That's the one on which I'm trying to determine if the job composes correctly.
Wait a second. I feel like I am missing something here, or just not explaining properly.

We have fusion pro desktop on a computer in graphics however that never once touched this product. I opened an indesign file, (which was started and finished in indesign) in cs5.5 and using my fusion pro plugin which came with the web version installed on my machine marked which text boxes are versionable. I then exported through the fusion pro plugin to a pdf.

At this point the file opened in acrobat on my computer. Using the web version of fusion pro, I uploaded a csv, and created rules. I then placed my rules in the text boxes where necessary and swapped in variables where appropriate. I then composed the file. I then collected the file.

From there I uploaded the collect file to my MarcomCentral Storefront.

I do not think fusion pro desktop was ever involved. It is my understanding that fusion pro desktop and fusion pro web are essentially the same except that fusion pro desktop allows you compose multiple records whereas fusion pro web only allows you to compose one record. I may be mistaken in this notion though. I do know however, whether or not it was supposed to be used, that it was not used in the formation of this template.

Quote:

Do you mean in FusionPro? If so, please collect up the job and send it to FusionProSupport@PTI.com.
I will be contacting them.


Thank you for your help. If you could please help me understand this Desktop/web dynamic I would appreciate it.

Dan Korn September 25th, 2012 02:12 PM

Re: Getting square bullets to display
 
If you opened the file in Acrobat and used the FusionPro plug-in to mark variable frames and then collect and export the template, then you were indeed using FusionPro Creator (formerly called FusionPro Desktop). That's what FusionPro Creator/Desktop is, a plug-in to Adobe Acrobat to design FusionPro VDP templates. These FusionPro templates can then be uploaded to various web-to-print systems and other custom applications, of which MarcomCentral is one (but not the only one), which in turn utilize the FusionPro VDP composition engine (FusionPro VDP Producer, formerly FusionPro Server) to create output.

There is no such thing as a "web version of FusionPro," despite the fact that MarcomCentral used to be named "FusionPro Web." (The name was changed partly to alleviate this kind of confusion.) FusionPro stands on its own, without MarcomCentral, although MarcomCentral relies upon FusionPro's composition engine.

MarcomCentral also offers its own capabilities in terms of digital asset management (image libraries), additional processing options such as UI rules, and its own preview functionality, to name a few. That last feature is what you seem to be having an issue with regarding MarcomCentral's basic viewer and the Zapf Dingbats font.

The FusionPro Acrobat plug-in does not come "with the web version." FusionPro has its own installer, and lots of people use it without MarcomCentral. Now, it is true that MarcomCentral customers generally receive single-record "Designer" licenses, which allow you to design jobs in FusionPro Creator/Desktop in Acrobat, but are limited to single record compositions. However, this is still considered using FusionPro Creator/Desktop, because it's the exact same plug-in, despite the single-record limitation in the license key. So your computer with Acrobat and the FusionPro plug-in is still a "FusionPro Desktop computer."

Therefore my question still stands: If you do a preview on your machine, in Acrobat, do the bullets show up? If they don't, then it's a FusionPro issue, in which case you should send it to Support. If they do show up in a preview in Acrobat, but not in MarcomCentral, then it's a MarcomCentral issue.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) 2011, PTI Marketing Technologies™, Inc.