MarcomCentral (PTI) and FusionPro User Communities

MarcomCentral (PTI) and FusionPro User Communities (http://forums.pti.com/index.php)
-   Formatting Text (http://forums.pti.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Special Characters (http://forums.pti.com/showthread.php?t=3440)

dreimer June 5th, 2013 08:30 AM

Special Characters

I need my MAC for this particular job for font reasons and I can't get "Décor" to work correctly. It works fine on the PC. Is there something I'm missing?

esmith June 5th, 2013 08:54 AM

Re: Special Characters

You can try replacing the accented character with its HTML entity ( é ) which is not platform-specific.

Dan Korn June 5th, 2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreimer (Post 13090)
I need my MAC for this particular job for font reasons and I can't get "Décor" to work correctly. It works fine on the PC. Is there something I'm missing?

Is this text in your input data file, in a rule, typed into a text frame, or from somewhere else?

If it's your input data file, you might need to set the encoding on the "Data Source - Flat File" step of the Define Data Source dialog.

If it's in a rule, you'll need to use entities as Eric describes. Or put the text into a Formatted Text Resource and call that out in the rule.

If it's in a text frame or a Formatted Text Resource, the encoding should get automatically converted.

dreimer June 6th, 2013 07:31 AM

It is in my data file and I tried changing the encoding when defining the data with no luck changing it to all the different options available.

Dan Korn June 6th, 2013 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreimer (Post 13097)
It is in my data file and I tried changing the encoding when defining the data with no luck changing it to all the different options available.

It could be a font issue. Are you using the same font on Windows and Mac? Are there any messages in the log file about fonts or encoding? Can you post a job which demonstrates the problem?

dreimer June 6th, 2013 10:44 AM

Doesn't seem to be a font issue. It doesn't show the data correctly when looking at the records in the preview. The Windows machine shows it correctly. I don't see any kind of error in the msg file.

Dan Korn June 6th, 2013 11:36 AM

Can you post the data file, or at least a snippet of it with the character in question?

dreimer June 6th, 2013 12:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have attached the file. If you open the file in a text editor it looks correct as well as in Fusion Pro on the Windows machine. Once I switch to the MAC, no luck!

step June 6th, 2013 02:07 PM

I would replace that character in the data file with the html entity that Eric mentioned in his post.

Dan Korn June 6th, 2013 06:43 PM

Thanks Don. Setting the encoding to Mac Roman in the Data Source Wizard should work, but it's not. I'm investigating why that's not working now.

What I would do as a workaround is save the file as Unicode (UTF-16). That will surely work. That's also what I would use for all files going forward, as much as possible. It's not an 8-bit world anymore.