Gotham Bold is showing only Italic with no way to turn off

sandyinc

When I use this font it is displaying only the italic version and the bold/italic are greyed out so I can't turn them off. I don't even have the italic variation loaded for this. Ideas? Thanks in advance.

I'm on a Mac using Fusion Pro 12.0.3.

It seems that FusionPro thinks you have only one style of the Gotham font loaded.

It's almost impossible to diagnose problems like this in the context of this forum, as there's no way to determine what the cause is without more information, possibly an examination of the fonts installed on your system. That's why my signature says to address any font issues to Support.

That said, you could look in the files fonts.ini, fonts.err, and fonts.update.err, in the folder "/Library/Preferences/PTI/FusionPro". The fonts.ini file will list which fonts are loaded, and the .err files will have some information about how the fonts ended up grouped the way they are. You could attach those files (though not the actual font files) here, but again, as my signature notes, I won't really be able to look at them unless you go through Support.

You could also look at the Font Book app to see which styles of the Gotham font are installed and activated on your system.

If you do install any new fonts, you'll need to quit and restart Acrobat in order for FusionPro to pick them up.

Thanks Dan and Sschardan! I will go through those things and see what I can do. This font is a nightmare even with Indesign and other Adobe products so no surprise it's not acting right in Fusion Pro. My biggest problem is that I only use FP once every year or so, so there is a re-learning curve :) Thanks for reminding me of some things I hadn't tried. Will report back success or failure and I will reach out to support if need be.

Ok. So a couple things...

First, I don't see the fonts.ini file anymore in the Fusion Pro folder. Didn't that go away with later versions? If not, maybe I'm looking in the wrong place? I'm in Library/Application Support/PTI/Fusion Pro.

Second... I have all the variations of Gotham loaded. They are OTF fonts in case that matters. I have also tried making sure JUST the Bold and Medium are loaded (which are all I need) and that still doesn't work. Fusion Pro still sees the Bold as Bold-Italic (it calls it bold but actually renders italic).

Does that help at all get me closer to a solution that doesn't involve support?

First, I don't see the fonts.ini file anymore in the Fusion Pro folder. Didn't that go away with later versions? If not, maybe I'm looking in the wrong place? I'm in Library/Application Support/PTI/Fusion Pro.

As I noted in my previous post, it's in "/Library/Preferences/PTI/FusionPro", like always.

What changed in FP 11 is that you don't need to load fonts anymore; new fonts get loaded automatically when Acrobat starts. But the fonts.ini still keeps track of them.

Second... I have all the variations of Gotham loaded. They are OTF fonts in case that matters. I have also tried making sure JUST the Bold and Medium are loaded (which are all I need) and that still doesn't work. Fusion Pro still sees the Bold as Bold-Italic (it calls it bold but actually renders italic).

Well, FusionPro doesn't think there's a non-italic style loaded, even if you (think you) have those styles installed.

So those two styles show up as non-Italic in the Font Book app? Can you see the styles in another app, like Text Edit?

Does that help at all get me closer to a solution that doesn't involve support?

Maybe. Like I said, you could post the fonts.ini file here. But you can't post font files here. So it's all trying to look at your system through a keyhole. Support can set up a remote session to look at your computer if needed.

Thanks Dan. I was actually able to sort it by deleting the fonts.ini file and letting it rebuild. I was looking in the wrong place. Thanks as always for your patience.

Thanks for the update.

In the future, instead of manually deleting fonts.ini, you can go into the FusionPro app, from the Server menu, and select Reset Fonts.