Ballot box problem

Macintosh OS X 10.6.8

Acrobat X 10.1.2

Fusion Pro Desktop 7.2P1k

In font Myriad Pro there is a glyph for ballot box. I can't get that to work at all when previewing or composing in a Fusion Pro Desktop variable text box.

I tried using the ballot box in Universal News with Commercial Pi font (capital M). No dice.

Then I tried using ballot boxes from Zapf Dingbats (lower case o and p). These work when on a line by themselves but not on a line with other static text and variables formatted using Myriad Pro. Composition system generates message: "Text processing is limited to Latin-1/MacRoman characters only. Go to Compose->Advanced tab to remove the limitation."

Unfortunately, the Advanced tab doesn't have any way to remove the limitation!

This should be simple, why is it not? It's only formatting text.

Composition system generates message: "Text processing is limited to Latin-1/MacRoman characters only. Go to Compose->Advanced tab to remove the limitation."

Unfortunately, the Advanced tab doesn't have any way to remove the limitation!

When you click "Compose," it brings up the Composition Settings dialog. On the Advanced tab of that dialog is a check box with the caption "Limit processing to MacRoman text." Uncheck that box.

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I am running into a similar problem.

I have a ballot box on 4 lines. At first they would not show up in the preview or composition. I unchecked "Limit processing to MacRoman text." in the advanced settings tab. Now the ballot boxes are displaying as two rectangular boxes rather than a single square box.

I also tried inserting it as a couple of rules.

return '<unicode>2610</unicode>'
//shows up in validate box but not in preview or compose

and

return '☐'
//shows up as ☐ in validate box, but nothing in preview or compose

Any suggestions on how to get this working?

Picture39.png.dc84d5e882a5daa514d4beaf7b2ac36b.png

I have a ballot box on 4 lines. At first they would not show up in the preview or composition. I unchecked "Limit processing to MacRoman text." in the advanced settings tab. Now the ballot boxes are displaying as two rectangular boxes rather than a single square box.

I also tried inserting it as a couple of rules.

return '<unicode>2610</unicode>'
//shows up in validate box but not in preview or compose

and

return '☐'
//shows up as ☐ in validate box, but nothing in preview or compose

Any suggestions on how to get this working?

You need to make sure the font you're using contains a glyph for that Unicode character. Look in the log (.msg) file for any errors about Unicode output.

You need to make sure the font you're using contains a glyph for that Unicode character. Look in the log (.msg) file for any errors about Unicode output.

I first tried Webdings, Wingdings, and Myriad Pro (you can see these in the attached screen shot). The webdings displays the character properly in the text editor box but changes from a single square box into two rectangular boxes, where the second box appears to be behind the following character. The wingdings does the same but with slightly taller boxes, and the Myriad pro output a rectangular box with an x through it. None of the fonts output a result for the html I tried to insert.

My .msg file for the above composition had no errors to report.

Job started 16:27:36 - 1335371256.

Creator: FusionPro Designer 7.2P1k

Computer Name: Meir Galimidi’s MacBook Pro

Current working folder: /

Template File: /Users/meirgalimidi/Documents/Allegra/SCOTT/Urology Care Alliance/Bucks County Appointment Card/75063BucksUrol%E1yCareAppntBC.dif

Input File: /Users/meirgalimidi/Documents/Allegra/SCOTT/Urology Care Alliance/Bucks County Appointment Card/BucksAppointCardWRKBK.txt

Job Config File: /Users/meirgalimidi/Documents/Allegra/SCOTT/Urology Care Alliance/Bucks County Appointment Card/compose2/BucksAppointC%E1dWRKBK-Output.cfg

Composing record #1, input record 1

Job ended 16:27:37 - 1335371257.

I've gone so far as to write every character my keyboard can muster and flip through fonts until I find boxes. Then copy those boxes and put them in their own line. Every box I have come across for some reason alters, and adds a seconds character in both the preview and compose.

Is there a setting for this other than the "Limit processing to MacRoman text"(which I have unchecked) that could affect the output?

Picture36.png.e63097ebb82a6d341f8afc1cb3952d11.png

I've gone so far as to write every character my keyboard can muster and flip through fonts until I find boxes. Then copy those boxes and put them in their own line. Every box I have come across for some reason alters, and adds a seconds character in both the preview and compose.

Is there a setting for this other than the "Limit processing to MacRoman text"(which I have unchecked) that could affect the output?

Yes, there are other settings that affect how text is output in particular fonts, but there are too many to enumerate here.

Let's approach it this way: If you try to output one of these characters in another job, say, the Frodo Travel Tutorial, do you have the same problem? (You'll need to uncheck that "Limit processing to MacRoman text" box there as well to try this.)

• If yes (the same problem happens in all jobs), then there's some kind of issue with your installation, in which case I would try uninstalling and reinstalling FusionPro.
  • If no (the problem is unique to this job), then it's a setting in your job, in which case I suggest collecting it up and posting it here, or sending it to Support.

I tried using the characters from that text box in another product and now I am not sure which of your above options this falls under.

In the text editor, they all show up as boxes. In the preview, some don't show up, some show up as stars, and others show up exactly right. When I compose with "Limit processing to MacRoman text" unchecked, they all show up with the same errors as my original product. Some do however continue to display properly in the preview.

I am submitting my collect file to support and I'll upload it here too if any of you want to try your hand.

AppointmentCardIssue.zip

Thanks for posting the job. I confirmed that I get the same output in FusionPro 7.2. However, FusionPro 8 composes what I think is the expected output. So I suggest upgrading. You can contact Sales for a trial license of FusionPro 8 if you want to try it out first.