Bleed issues with FP/Imposer

mrositch

We are automating business cards in our office - some with a full bleed on the back. We have set up the imposition file to include the bleeds, and it works OK except for on the outside two (vertical) rows. We have modified the file in Imposer to remove the spaces between the rows. What is going on is that on the bleed area, the image is being shifted to the left in the left row and to the right in the right row. Center three rows are fine. There are 27 business cards set up on a 19x13 sheet. Crop marks are all fine - 3.5x2 - and the images on the cards which are set up without a bleed are good. We are doing this without a bustout because the backgrounds are a solid color and we can fit more up to a sheet/fewer cuts. Am I just missing a "check box" somewhere?

Michelle

Mac OS X 10.4.11

FusionPro 6.0P1f

Could you post your FP template file along with your FPImposer layout file? Perhaps if we could see how your files are set up we could offer better advice?

I assume all your business cards include bleed in the PDF even if they don't have physical bleeds? I imagine FPImposer would have a problem if it were trying to impose cards with bleed and cards without all in a single layout.

By "rows" (left-to-right) I assume you mean "columns" (top-to-bottom) otherwise indicating a LEFT and RIGHT row don't make sense to me. You mention a 27-up template. Does this suggest 3 columns and 9 rows? Even with minimal bleed in layout, I don't think 9 rows would fit on a 19" sheet. Again, seeing your working files would help with the diagnosis. :)

I'm glad you posted these files as I think it's a perfect example of what some of us end users consider a bug in the FPImposer software. This shows why I do not create layouts with Imposer in situations where I have a bleed AND a bust cut. Perhaps Alex, Mark, or Dan could use these files to look into this issue on behalf of all of us!

In the meantime, for situations like these, I usually turn to a 3rd party shareware utility (for the Mac) called Crackerjack. It is a plug-in for Acrobat made by ARTS PDF that I use for imposition. (On the PC there is a similar utility called PDF Snake.) I would output all my cards as single pages and then use Crackerjack to impose them correctly. Alternatively, you could include the inner bleeds and stick with a smaller number of cards per sheet. :(

I am attaching a PDF with some notes regarding changes I would make to your imposition template, although they do not solve the specific problem you are inquiring about. My apologies if you already know these things -- I just noticed the settings in the file you attached and wanted to play it safe. :)

FPI_changes.pdf

• 1 year later...

I am having a similar issue with FPImposer. My input PDF has bleed on all four sides. When I impose the file the page seems to be offset vertically by .125". (The registration marks are showing on top.) This cuts off the bleed needed on the bottom of the file. Please see the attached screenshot and .fpi file.

Thanks!

Screen shot.pdf

My impo.fpi

I am having a similar issue with FPImposer. My input PDF has bleed on all four sides. When I impose the file the page seems to be offset vertically by .125". (The registration marks are showing on top.) This cuts off the bleed needed on the bottom of the file. Please see the attached screenshot and .fpi file.

Thanks!

For whatever its worth...

I've been having a similar problem with FP Imposer and just ran into it again yesterday. If I include 1/8" bleed in the InDesign file but I only want 1/16" bleed in the imposed file and put 1/16" bleed in the imposition, the imposed file comes out wrong and offsets the corner marks (or cuts off the image) similar to your example. So either I have to go back to InDesign and change the bleed to 1/16" (to match imposition) or change the imposition to 1/8" (to match InDesign).

This means, to me anyhow, that the bleed built into the InDesign file must match whatever bleed is going to be used in imposition.

This didn't used to be the case prior to the release of version FP7.0. Templates that imposed just fine before the release came in incorrectly after we upgraded.

Archived