Bug in Overflow?

I have a template with a text frame. There are 2 variable fields in the frame. They come from a tagged file. The problem I'm having is when field one has just a couple of words or a small character count. It copyfits large as expected but doesn't leave room for field two. Field two get completely pushed into overflow which should cause it to not display any text at all in the frame, marking the frame in red. This is not the case though. If field one contains more than a few words field two shows up as expected with both copy fitted properly. Any thoughts on what might be causing this?

Well, it's hard to diagnose without seeing the job, but if you're using the standard CopyfitLine function, then as the point size of the text is changed to make the line fit, and if you have the default auto-leading in effect, then the text in higher point sizes ("copyfits large" in your words) will definitely take up more vertical space, which may be why you're seeing the text below it get pushed down past the end of the frame.

You should be able to resolve this by setting the "justwidth" parameter to true so that only the setwidth of the text is changed, not the overall point size. Or you can change that line to use absolute leading. Or you might want to use full-flow Copyfitting.

Would rather not post the job as it contains customer information and I believe these posts are available to all users. In the event that I could what would you need to see. The template and tag file or just the output pdf?

ASAIK, the only copyfitting being applied is during the OnCopyfit callback function. These are our current settings,which I believe are full-flow copyfitting.

if (!Copyfit(new MagnifyAttributes("text", 25, 1000, 6, 1000)))

ReportWarning("Could not copyfit text in flow " +

FusionPro.Composition.CurrentFlow.name);

I suppose it's applying copy fitting to each of the two fields separately.

Would rather not post the job as it contains customer information and I believe these posts are available to all users. In the event that I could what would you need to see. The template and tag file or just the output pdf?

Can you reduce it to a minimal job which demonstrates the problem and attach that? I would need to see the template PDF itself, and possibly the data, or at least some dummy data which triggers the issue in question. Just seeing the output doesn't tell me how you got there.

ASAIK, the only copyfitting being applied is during the OnCopyfit callback function. These are our current settings,which I believe are full-flow copyfitting.

if (!Copyfit(new MagnifyAttributes("text", 25, 1000, 6, 1000)))

ReportWarning("Could not copyfit text in flow " +

FusionPro.Composition.CurrentFlow.name);

Wait a minute, if you're already using full-flow Copyfitting, then why are you mentioning Overflow? You can either turn on Copyfitting for a frame, or Overflow, but not both. If you think you have Copyfitting enabled but it doesn't seem to be working, there should be a message in the log (.msg) file about that if you do a regular composition (not just a Preview). In that case, you might need to tweak the numbers in the MagnifyAttributes object in the OnCopyfit rule, although it looks like you've already changed them from the defaults.

I suppose it's applying copy fitting to each of the two fields separately.

No, if you're really using full-flow Copyfitting, and there are two fields in the flow (frame), then it's copyfitting both of them together, proportionately. Are you sure that you don't want to be using CopyfitLine instead? If you could provide an example of what you want the output to look like, that would be helpful.

• 3 months later...

Archived