Does Acrobat crash when you do this...

Kim

Hi everybody,

I've been using v6 for a while now and have found a sure way to crash Acrobat. I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing any problems with crashes?

I have some recurring jobs that I use template files which are all set up with rules, text and graphic boxes, etc. I create my new acrobat file and then I import my data source from the template doc, import document properties (variable layout, colors, etc.) and change the input file to correct database. Then I save (b/c I've been bitten with so many various types of crashes over the years with Fusion that I save every other breath). Next I preview and make sure everything looks right. I turn off preview. Then when I click compose I crash. EVERY SINGLE TIME. (This problem happens every time I import from another file. I might crash sometimes on new setups with no imports, but nothing like the consistency of the import crash.)

In past versions Acrobat would crash on me frequently at compose, but not consistently like this. Does anyone else have this happen. Or does anyone have any trick/workaround they follow that keeps this from happening?

I'm running Fusion v6 on a brand new iMac that I've just recently set up. So everything is clean and fresh on a shiny new mac that hasn't been

"junked up" and isn't having any problems.

thanks!

kim

Kim,

I had a fresh PC install, Adobe CS4 and FP. It started to crash almost all the time. I asked our IT guy what-in-the-world that it could be? He completely removed Adobe and re-installed the products. Install/Registry issues.

Went in this order:

Adobe un-install, everything.

Re-install.

Re-start machine.

Run updates immediately.

try it out.

Took about an hour to do everything and machine is running good.

Aside from running 10.5.7 on an Intel Desktop instead of 10.5.6 on an iMac, we have an identical setup as far as apps go. I have had no problems with crashing as a result of importing data and composing in FP.

If this has been happening to you since the beginning (since you mention a "shiny new mac that hasn't been junked up"), I would agree with rpaterick regarding reinstall of your software. Be sure to install Acrobat, run Acrobat, apply updates for Acrobat, and run Acrobat again BEFORE installing FusionPro (i.e. don't install FusionPro immediately after installing Acrobat without launching Acrobat and updating it first.)

I've had a very similar issue, where I'd hit the Compose button a 2nd or more time on the same file, without first closing it and re-opening it, it would crash. That seems to have gone away since upgrading to the newest version of FP. Of course now it randomly crashes at other times, but Acrobat, PitStop and FusionPro have always seemed to butt heads on our machines...

Our problems relate to Stack's comment about pitstop and fusionpro. If we have acrobat and just one of the others installed, we have no crashing problems at all. As soon as both, pitstop and fusionpro, are installed on the same PC, we get a crash here and there and sometimes have to reboot several times to get jobs done.

Hi,

Thanks for the comments. Been kinda snowed under with a big job so slow responding, but once I get done with it, I may try reinstalling.

I don't actually hold out much hope for that option though. I've discovered that a co-worker experiences the same thing. And since learning that, and the fact that my install was on a brand new mac with everything "fresh and clean", I'm rather doubtful it's an install issue.

Perhaps it's something to do with our network. I'll have to test more and see if I can find any differences with files on network versus on hard drive.

I kinda think it might just be buggy Fusion. Just to be clear, I'm not talking about just setting a database and then previewing and composing. I'm talking about importing rules and layout from another PDF file and then previewing and composing.

I don't have Pitstop on this mac. I'm using CS4 and Fusion. We've found the best thing to do is to import all rules and fusion boxes, save and close, and then open the file again. That's the only way we can keep it from crashing every time on compose.

Thanks again for the replies!

kim

Another thing.

I changed my settings in Acrobat to just remember the last 7 days of History, not 12 months. This isn't related to your problem but I know that was an issue I had at one-time. I couldn't imagine how big the file could get, week after week, remembering all the files that you've opened and saved.:eek:

Go to Edit/Preferences. Document tab/Remember files in Organizer History for "Last 7 days." I then went to File/History/Clear History.

Restart.

Perhaps it's something to do with our network. I'll have to test more and see if I can find any differences with files on network versus on hard drive.

That reminds me too that as a rule of thumb, even though our files are stored on various networks, I always copy the files to my desktop when working on them. This stemmed more from a fonts issue we had a while back, but it's a habit that has stuck. It doesn't seem to make a difference with the random crashing, but I know we have all sorts of quirky errors and faults (both FP related and unrelated) when working off of a network.

• 4 months later...
Does anyone (or has anyone) experienced consistent crashing on previewing or composing files to templates? I am currently having this issue, and have completely removed and reinstalled CS3 and Acrobat with no resolve. Running a PowerPC Mac on Leopard 10.5.8, FP version 5.8P2c. Do you think an upgrade to 6 will solve my issue, or should I just transfer FP from Mac to a PC environment?

Christian, I believe your issue was resolved offline by upgrading to FusionPro 6.0. However, your issue with the FusionPro application crashing is a completely different issue than the Acrobat crash described in the original post.

We encourage users to help each other out and share knowledge here, but it's hard to diagnose these kinds of issues in the context of the user-to-user forum. And when others chime in about similar issues, with different versions of FusionPro on different platforms, it may seem helpful, but it usually just ends up confusing the issue, and ultimately makes is more difficult for us to diagnose what are likely to be two or more completely different problems, which may be specific to a particular FusionPro or OS version, or even to a font or setup issue specific to a single machine. Your best bet for these kinds of issues is to go through Support, who can route your specific issue as appropriate for the proper analysis.

Archived