If your mailing software generates "FATD" characters, do the following.

FusionPro Method:

Intelligent Mail Barcode script for users parsing data with mailing software.

First create an "Empty" Text Rule,i.e."Create Rules>>New Empty".

Click the box for "Treat Return Strings As Tagged Text".

Give the Rule an identifiable name, which will be selectable in the "Variable" drop window of the text frame where this

information will appear.

Then paste this script(Make sure the field name matches your data file):

var onecode = Field("Intelligent Mail Barcode"); //Replace "FATD" with Field("Intelligent Mail Barcode")

onecode = onecode.replace(/F/g,"0"); // replaces all F with 0

onecode = onecode.replace(/A/g,"1"); // replaces all A with 1

onecode = onecode.replace(/T/g,"3"); // replaces all T with 3

onecode = onecode.replace(/D/g,"2"); // replaces all D with 2

return onecode;

Then insert the Rule name into the text variable where the barcode will appear. Apply the "IDAutomation4State" font.

• 2 weeks later...
I haven't actually tried this (yet), but was wondering if you could apply the tagged text logic in this post in order to scale the barcode vertically without affecting it's horizontal dimension? We are not using IMBs just yet, but will be moving in that direction soon so if this solution works (or you find another) please post back here so I don't have to reinvent the wheel!

Ok I tried the Onecode barcode rule and what I have is one 31 bye field coming in with all the variables already concatneated together, the bar code scans but I get this error message for every record

error message

OneCode Barcode Rule, line 10: warning: The tracking number is not the correct length of 20 characters in record number 1.

Composing record #1, input record 1

How do I get the scripting correct so these error messages dont come up, the barcode scans per the usps scanner that we have.

Ok I tried the Onecode barcode rule and what I have is one 31 bye field coming in with all the variables already concatneated together, the bar code scans but I get this error message for every record

error message

OneCode Barcode Rule, line 10: warning: The tracking number is not the correct length of 20 characters in record number 1.

Composing record #1, input record 1

How do I get the scripting correct so these error messages dont come up, the barcode scans per the usps scanner that we have.

Please refer to this thread for more information about using the Intelligent Mail Barcode in FusionPro, specifically this post and this post.

Basically, you need to divide up the 31-digit string from your data into a 20-digit tracking code and an 11-digit routing code and pass those as separate parameters to the MakeOneCodeBarcode function in a rule. For instance:

var IMB_data = Field("Intelligent Mail Barcode");
return MakeOneCodeBarcode(Left(IMB_data, 20), Right(IMB_data, 11), 12);

Note that you don't need to set the font in the Text Editor as the function inserts the necessary tags. You do need to remember to check the "Treat returned strings as tagged text" box, however.

• 1 month later...
For those of us who do have an accurate IMB field in the data, I'm crossing my fingers that Printable will someday just provide a Type 1 font for the IMB as they have with the postnet to make it easy for us.

If you already have the encoded data, you can get the fonts for free from the USPS:

https://ribbs.usps.gov/index.cfm?page=intellmailmailpieces

Archived