Static graphics not appearing

Stack

I'm having trouble with a template I'm working on... It's a very simple template, with a variable background image, variable white text, and a couple static logos. The variable text and image appears just fine, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to get the static images to display. The two static images are b&w .eps files (saved with 8-bit color tiff preview in Illustrator). The template is initially being setup in InDesign CS3, where the static images display fine. I export the template to Acrobat, and the static images no longer display. However, I can select all with PitStop, and paths for the two graphics DO select. I've spent the last few hours adjusting their hierarchal placement, played around with the overprint/knockout settings, resaved the files with b&w tiff previews, but nothing works. I've uploaded the template to our store front, to see if it'll display correctly there, but of course it does not. What's even more perplexing is that if I download a proof of the template, again the paths for the missing images appear when I select all...

Anybody know how to remedy this??? I have a feeling it's something very simple that I'm overlooking, but I just can't figure it out... Thanks!

I'm having trouble with a template I'm working on... It's a very simple template, with a variable background image, variable white text, and a couple static logos. The variable text and image appears just fine, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to get the static images to display. The two static images are b&w .eps files (saved with 8-bit color tiff preview in Illustrator). The template is initially being setup in InDesign CS3, where the static images display fine. I export the template to Acrobat, and the static images no longer display. However, I can select all with PitStop, and paths for the two graphics DO select. I've spent the last few hours adjusting their hierarchal placement, played around with the overprint/knockout settings, resaved the files with b&w tiff previews.....

Anybody know how to remedy this??? I have a feeling it's something very simple that I'm overlooking, but I just can't figure it out... Thanks!

Stack,

Any graphic that is "Static" in the PDF will reside in the bottom or base art layer of the PDF. So your "Static" Logos, are still part of the PDF, but it sounds as if they are covered up by your Variable Background image.

Anytime you have Variable content overlapping with "Static" content that should be layered on top of it, you need to define the "Static" elements as Variable (even though they will not change) so they can maintain their layered position in the layout. Otherwise the "Static" logos will be at the bottom.

Try exporting the logos as Variable Graphic Frames, then create a simple rule for each, to return the logo in the frame:

return Resource("Logo.eps");

Hope this helps.

Stack,

Any graphic that is "Static" in the PDF will reside in the bottom or base art layer of the PDF. So your "Static" Logos, are still part of the PDF, but it sounds as if they are covered up by your Variable Background image.

Anytime you have Variable content overlapping with "Static" content that should be layered on top of it, you need to define the "Static" elements as Variable (even though they will not change) so they can maintain their layered position in the layout. Otherwise the "Static" logos will be at the bottom.

Try exporting the logos as Variable Graphic Frames, then create a simple rule for each, to return the logo in the frame:

return Resource("Logo.eps");

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply Freight, I was actually just trying this as a last ditch effort. So far the previously missing graphics are appearing. I haven't yet set a rule for the frames, as my JavaScript knowledge doesn't go beyond setting text to all caps... Hopefully this will work though!

And sorry about the multiple posts on the subject, I just didn't think this belonged in the Web to Print forum since the issue occurs way before the file is uploaded.

Archived