tabstop within a rule

woody

Hi everyone,

I am using FusionPro Desktop 6.0P1e (Windows) and I do not know JavaScript (which I'm sure you can guess from the code I am including).

I have an elementary school that I am creating a phone directory for. Using the information from the Rules System Guide I have figured out everything but how to set the tabstop after the zip code for the phone number to tab over with leader dots and the alignment on the right.

Here is an example of how they want the names and addresses to look like:

Anderson, Jamel (K)

Rebecca Cundiff & Michael Anderson, Sr.

5435 Starkey Road

Roanoke, 24018........................206-7982

email address here if they have one

Anderson, Jr., Michael (1)

Rebecca Cundiff & Michael Anderson, Sr.

5435 Starkey Road

Roanoke, 24018........................206-7982

Here is my code:

Dir = new ExternalDataFile("C:\\Documents and Settings\\Woody\\My Documents\\Penn Forest Elementary Directory 2008-2009.txt", "\t");

x = 1;

while (Dir.GetFieldValue(x, "Last Name") != "")

{

Final = Final + "<b>" + Dir.GetFieldValue(x, "Last Name") + "</b>" + "," + " " +

"<b>" + Dir.GetFieldValue(x, "First Name") + "</b>" + " " +

"(" + Dir.GetFieldValue(x, "Grade") + ")" + "<br>" +

Dir.GetFieldValue(x, "Parents Names") + "<br>" +

Dir.GetFieldValue(x, "Address") + "<br>" +

Dir.GetFieldValue(x, "City") + "," + " " +

Dir.GetFieldValue(x, "State") + " " +

Dir.GetFieldValue(x, "Zip") + "<t> " +

Dir.GetFieldValue(x, "Phone Number") + "<br>" +

Dir.GetFieldValue(x, "E-mail") + "<br><br>" ;

x=x+1;

}

return;

I get everything I want except for the tabstop.

Any help that you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

One other problem that I have not started to figure out yet is that they want to have a few information pages thrown in the middle of the directory. How will I insert those pages where I want them?

Thanks for all you guidance.

Susan

You can click the Tabs button on the Variable Text Editor dialog to modify the tab stop settings in the text frame where you're placing the result of this rule. You can set the leader character (dots in your example) there.

Thanks Dan, but I have tried that and it does not work. That's why I thought I should write it into the rule.:(

Well, what exactly have you tried? Are you sure that the tab position you have specified is actually past the point where the text preceding the <t> tag ends? You might need to attach your job, or at least a simple template PDF file with the text frame and a rule returning some hard-coded data.

Thanks Dan,

I ran it again adding in tab stops and it gave me everything. I deleted some of the names to get it to run quicker, but it is taking so long to run. I think that might have been the reason my computer continued to abort the project.

Thanks again.

Archived