Multi-threading possible?

Duake

I was wondering if FusionPro Desktop/Direct utilizes multiple cores/threads. I have a workstation and a server that both have 4 cores and 8 threads. I'm noticing that at most, Desktop really only uses 2 threads and sometimes only just 1.

Any way for it to use more cores/threads or is the software not programmed to do that? We spent a lot of money on these CPUs just to render as fast as possible, but the program doesn't seem to use them to even half of their potential. Any info on this would be great.

David

FusionPro Desktop is single-threaded, as is FusionPro Server. However, if you use FusionPro Server with DL Queue, you can take advantage of multiple processors since each composition is a separate process. In addition, FP Server customers have access to high-perfromance tools such as load balancing, which can divide up a single composition across multiple processors, or even across multiple machines.

I should also note that FP Direct can take advantage of multiple processors as well, since it uses FusionPro Server with its separate composition processes.

So FP Direct will use more than 1 processor if set up to use the DL queue? It'd be great to use that if our FP Desktop would connect to our FP Direct. Been trying to talk to Alex about getting that fixed, but any link to setting up the DL queue and what exactly it does?

David

So FP Direct will use more than 1 processor if set up to use the DL queue?

Yes, FP Direct uses DL Queue to run jobs with FusionPro Server, so each composition is a separate process, therefore multiple compositions can be run on multiple processors.

It'd be great to use that if our FP Desktop would connect to our FP Direct. Been trying to talk to Alex about getting that fixed, but any link to setting up the DL queue and what exactly it does?

I'm sure that Alex can help you get FP Direct configured and working. All the DL Queue settings are handled by FP Direct, so you shouldn't have to set anything up other than what's described in FusionPro Direct Configuration guide.

If you're using FusionPro Server directly, without FP Direct, then you will probably be setting up DL Queue on your own as part of a larger application, but that's a different discussion.

We aren't using Server, but just Desktop and Direct. Does the DL queue exist for Direct, or even function, if Server isn't present?

Yes, as I said, FP Direct uses DL Queue, so you've already got it installed as part of FP Direct. In theory, you could run any command-line application with DL Queue, including, but not limited to, FusionPro Server. However, there's not much else you can do with it in terms of FusionPro unless you have a full-on FP Server license.

Archived