DLQueue limit on jobs in the queue

tobarstep

I am successfully using the DLQueue ActiveX component to submit files to a remote scheduler. The scheduler automatically puts files into a "Queueing" state when I submit more than the load limit for a particular queue and then runs them immediately as soon as the load lightens enough to turn it "Active".

My question is this: Is there an upper limit to how many files I can have in this "Queueing" state?

I have a large job I need to do that consists of probably 2000 or so individual text files. It will take roughly an hour to actually generate the text files themselves, but we will eventually get to a point where there will be well over 1000 of them waiting in the "Queueing" state. Will DLQueue be able to handle that quantity or do I need to add some logic on my program's side to ensure that I never exceed a certain amount of files waiting in queue?

I guess that was two questions.

Is there an upper limit to how many files I can have in this "Queueing" state?

No, there is no theoretical limit.

I have a large job I need to do that consists of probably 2000 or so individual text files. It will take roughly an hour to actually generate the text files themselves, but we will eventually get to a point where there will be well over 1000 of them waiting in the "Queueing" state. Will DLQueue be able to handle that quantity or do I need to add some logic on my program's side to ensure that I never exceed a certain amount of files waiting in queue?

DL Queue should be able to handle this in normal operation. However, if you're dealing with such large numbers, it might behoove you to add some business logic to your application to throttle the number of files it's generating, and thus the number of jobs it's submitting, at any given time. If nothing else, it might make it easier to monitor and manage the state of your application.

Archived