Storing Images and Resources in Folders on the Producer Server

I am trying to keep some organization to our files on the FusionPro server because we use almost 10,000 resources every week in our layouts. Every time I place the images or text in folders, the templates can't find the files. The only way it works is to have everything in the directory, not in a folder. I tried adding the folder name at the end of the paths in the rules but that doesn't work either. Am I missing something or is there a better way of doing this?

You should be able to place images anywhere that they are accessible on the network keeping in mind that the path/to/the/file will naturally be different when composing on the server versus your local machine.

Have you tried editing the "Search Path" value in the "Advanced" tab of the "Composition" dialog? That may be the easiest solution if it works. If not, you'll need to use a rule(s) to CreateResources on the fly and assign the UNC path which includes the unique path relative to the template/data file on the machine where the project is composed.

I am trying to keep some organization to our files on the FusionPro server because we use almost 10,000 resources every week in our layouts. Every time I place the images or text in folders, the templates can't find the files. The only way it works is to have everything in the directory, not in a folder.

I don't understand the last sentence. As far as I know, "directory" and "folder" mean exactly the same thing. So when you say "it works to have everything in the directory," what directory do you mean exactly?

I tried adding the folder name at the end of the paths in the rules but that doesn't work either. Am I missing something or is there a better way of doing this?

Instead of hard-coding paths in your rules, the best practice for making jobs portable is to use the Search Path on the Advanced tab of the Composition Settings dialog in the template. If there's more than one path, you can delimit them with semicolons in the Search Path box. Also, in a Producer/Direct workflow, you can set a Search Path for each queue in the FusionPro Direct Configuration utility, which applies to all jobs run on that queue.

However, in either case, you need to make sure that the account under which the jobs are running (as specified in the FP Direct Configuration) has read access (or write access for output) to any files or folders that the FusionPro composition is using. So, if you're trying to access, say, graphics from a UNC share, you need to make sure that the FP Direct account has access to that share.