Vertical Text Scaling while Sequentially Numbering

PMKoenig

I have a form the I am sequentially numbering. The font that I used for the number fills the text box horizontally, but I need it to be taller. I have tried several different fonts and none is tall enough. Is there a way in FusionPro to scale or stretch the numbers vertically to make them taller - like 1.5 - 2 times taller??

If you stretch in one direction only, the font will appear "condensed". If you're okay with that, why not use the setwidth tag to keep the width as you need it, and then increase the overall point size of the text until the desired height is reached?

return '<z newsize="16"><setwidth newsize="8">SAMPLE TEXT';

Maybe I am trying to do too much in one step. I know that I am a complete novice at this. So I have imput my numbering info where you put SAMPLE TEXT and it's not happy. So I think I need more help! Here is the line that I entered

return '<z newsize="200"><setwidth newsize="170">FormatNumber(LeadingZero, new_val + CurrentRecordNumber())';

Here is the original line that was ok horizontally but not tall enough. My current font size is 170:

return FormatNumber(LeadingZero, new_val + CurrentRecordNumber());

so HELP and thanks for any and all assistance!!!!!!!!

Maybe I am trying to do too much in one step. I know that I am a complete novice at this. So I have imput my numbering info where you put SAMPLE TEXT and it's not happy. So I think I need more help! Here is the line that I entered

return '<z newsize="200"><setwidth newsize="170">FormatNumber(LeadingZero, new_val + CurrentRecordNumber())';

Here is the original line that was ok horizontally but not tall enough. My current font size is 170:

return FormatNumber(LeadingZero, new_val + CurrentRecordNumber());

so HELP and thanks for any and all assistance!!!!!!!!

You can't just include the call to the FormatNumber function inside the string literal with the tags. You need to end that string literal and then concatenate the rest with the + operator, like so:

return '<z newsize="200"><setwidth newsize="170">' + FormatNumber(LeadingZero, new_val + CurrentRecordNumber());

Well that didn't work.

Here is the rule that I am using:

var start = "500";

var LeadingZero = "000";

new_val = start-1

return '<z newsize="200"><setwidth newsize="170">' + FormatNumber(LeadingZero, new_val + CurrentRecordNumber());

Here is the response when I validate the rule

<z newsize="200"><setwidth newsize="170">500

Here is the message when I try to compose the rule

Word <newsize=> does not fit in the frame after line 1.

The amount of text inserted into a flow exceeds the depth

of all frames in flow <(null)>. Text is truncated.

Text does not fit in the last frame on page 1 at (5.68, 8.46).

I'm sure this is something easy, but I've searched the forum, googled it and have looked thru the manual and nothing is jumping out at me. sorry to keep bothering everyone - but I don't know where else to look.

Thanks in advance!

One or both of your "newsizes" (z and/or setwidth) is too large to fit in the frame you are using on your template page. To confirm this, you can either temporarily increase the size of your frame or reduce the newsize value(s).

It may take some testing (editing frame size and/or values of tags) to get the result you want. Often the frame needs to be a fair size larger than the text it will contain. I often include FPO text in my background initially to use as a "guide" while setting up the initial template. I then go back and remove the FPO copy when everything lines up correctly.

Another possibility is that you are applying copyfitting to that frame which is further affecting the tagged values. If that is the case, you can try removing copyfit on the frame during setup.

Well that didn't work.

Here is the rule that I am using:

var start = "500";

var LeadingZero = "000";

new_val = start-1

Here is the response when I validate the rule

<z newsize="200"><setwidth newsize="170">500

Here is the message when I try to compose the rule

Word <newsize=> does not fit in the frame after line 1.

The amount of text inserted into a flow exceeds the depth

of all frames in flow <(null)>. Text is truncated.

Text does not fit in the last frame on page 1 at (5.68, 8.46).

I'm sure this is something easy, but I've searched the forum, googled it and have looked thru the manual and nothing is jumping out at me. sorry to keep bothering everyone - but I don't know where else to look.

Thanks in advance!

Check the "Treat returned strings as tagged text" box.