Fixed Length Files

DSweet

Will FusionPro Imposer work on Fixed Length Files? If I compose a document without imposition everything work fine. If I put any type of imposition (even a 1-up imposition) FusionPro has a conniption fit half way through the data file and states that it can't find the variables that it did find for the first half?

Is this a known bug?:eek:

I've tried several times to upload the zip file but it doesn't work. I keep getting a message screen that PTI has encountered some sort of database error. The zip file is only about 900K in size so it can't be too big to upload. I've done bigger ones. I've also sent a message to the forum support with a snapshot of the error message I keep getting, but no response as of yet.

If you could send me your email in a private message I would be glad to send it to you. Hope you can make heads of tails out of it.

I've tried several times to upload the zip file but it doesn't work. I keep getting a message screen that PTI has encountered some sort of database error. The zip file is only about 900K in size so it can't be too big to upload. I've done bigger ones. I've also sent a message to the forum support with a snapshot of the error message I keep getting, but no response as of yet.

If you could send me your email in a private message I would be glad to send it to you. Hope you can make heads of tails out of it.

Can you just post an excerpt of it directly, in a [noparse]

[/noparse] block? We probably don't need to see the full 900K file to get the gist of what it is.

Do you want me to just post the data file? Would that be enough for you to test this problem? If that's all you need then here...I'll also include the header which I had copied off to a separate file since it is normally not used for a fixed length file.

Opt. Endorsement Line******************]                                                                                                     Sack Pack                                                                                                                                    Vi Vis                                                                                                                                       Sequence Number]                                                                                                                             First Name***************]                                                                                                                   Last Name****************]                                                                                                                   Delivery Address*********]                                                                                                                   Alternate 1 Address******]                                                                                                                   City*************]                                                                                                                           St                                                                                                                                           ZIP+4****]                                                                                                                                   Intelligent Mail barcode*****************************************                                                                            Intelligent Mail barcode*******                                                                                                              Sample********]                                                                                                                              Containe                                                                                                                                     First Name***************] Last Name****************] Delivery Address*********] Alternate 1 Address******] City*************] St ZIP+4****] RAW FIRST****************] RAW LAST*****************] RAW ADDRESS**************] RAW ADDRESS 2************] RAW CITY*********] RA RAW ZIP**] 
                                                                                                                                            2 1                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       209                                                                                                                                          J                                                                                                                                            Hamer                                                                                                                                        11900 Appleton Dr                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Parma Heights                                                                                                                                OH                                                                                                                                           44130-0000                                                                                                                                   DTADTATDADFAAAFAFFDAAFAAATADTTFTFFFTFAFTFTADDFDDATFTTDDDADFAADDTT                                                                            0030120112208051160844130                                                                                                                    ***XXAUDIT***XX                                                                                                                              1 FT                                                                                                                                         
                                                                                                                                            5 1                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       825                                                                                                                                          Paul                                                                                                                                         Preziosi                                                                                                                                     6 Tuxedo Pl                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Morristown                                                                                                                                   NJ                                                                                                                                           07960-3733                                                                                                                                   DFAFADATDATFTATDTATTDDTTDDFFFATFFAAATTTFTTTFATAFAFAFTFAADFDDDADAD                                                                            0030120112208051222407960                                                                                                                    ***XXAUDIT***XX                                                                                                                              1 FT                                                                                                                                         

If you just copy what is in the code portion and pate it into an empty wordpad file you should get the entire "test" data file that I used.

Dan,

While you are checking out this bug, maybe you can also address what I think is another bug in the fixed-length format of FusionPro. I am not able to copy a data definition structure from one template set up as fixed length to another using the "import data source from another document" option of the Data Definition. The new document is indeed set up as fixed length, but I have to go into the edit fields option and re-insert all the field names and their lengths instead of this information being copied over. There is only one field and it is called "Field0".

While you are checking out this bug, maybe you can also address what I think is another bug in the fixed-length format of FusionPro. I am not able to copy a data definition structure from one template set up as fixed length to another using the "import data source from another document" option of the Data Definition. The new document is indeed set up as fixed length, but I have to go into the edit fields option and re-insert all the field names and their lengths instead of this information being copied over. There is only one field and it is called "Field0".

Okay, thanks for the extra information, and thanks for sending the job to Support. I did manage to reproduce and fix both problems. It seems that fixed-length data files are not a very commonly used feature (especially in conjunction with imposition), and the bugs you have uncovered have been around for some time.

The fixes should be included in an upcoming release. You can reference case FP-11929 for any follow-up with Support.