Sequential Numbering - specific start numbers & leading zeros

Hello,

I am new to FusionPro Desktop and the majority of work we do is variable numbering. I have two questions.

1) Setting a starting number - I followed the directions on page 68 of the manual and it shows that the way to "select" your starting number is to select it in the Input tab of the Composition Settings (the "From:" range) and when I do this, I get the sequence starting at 1. I am currently working on a job we did previously in Print Shop Mail so I'm redoing it in FPD. The starting number I need is 16,001 thru 18,000. I set those ranges and it "skipped" the previous numbers as it processed the job (took LOTS OF TIME) but then it output the starting number as 1 anyway. I am used to PSM where I select the range, steps, etc. in the expression. Is there some way to select these within the rules? (I set it up using empty rules like the manual suggested) Is there a trick that the manual doesn't share? I am also concerned about the time it takes "skipping" the numbers not in the sequence range as we have one job that we run 10,000 at a time and the numbers start well up into the 800,000s right now.

2) Leading Zeros - Is there a way to do leading zeros in the rules? Many of our previous numbering jobs (from PSM) require leading zeros. The only way I could find to do it was to use it as a part of the rule ( return "000" + like the manual example states) which is fine unless the numbers span from from tens to hundreds, etc.

Thank you in advance!

Allie

PIP Marketing Group

1) Setting a starting number - I followed the directions on page 68 of the manual and it shows that the way to "select" your starting number is to select it in the Input tab of the Composition Settings (the "From:" range) and when I do this, I get the sequence starting at 1. I am currently working on a job we did previously in Print Shop Mail so I'm redoing it in FPD. The starting number I need is 16,001 thru 18,000. I set those ranges and it "skipped" the previous numbers as it processed the job (took LOTS OF TIME) but then it output the starting number as 1 anyway. I am used to PSM where I select the range, steps, etc. in the expression. Is there some way to select these within the rules? (I set it up using empty rules like the manual suggested) Is there a trick that the manual doesn't share? I am also concerned about the time it takes "skipping" the numbers not in the sequence range as we have one job that we run 10,000 at a time and the numbers start well up into the 800,000s right now.

Just add whatever starting number you want to the record number in FusionPro, like so:

return CurrentRecordNumber() + 16000;

In conjunction with this, you can also set the start and end ranges in the OnJobStart callback rule, like so:

FusionPro.Composition.composeAllRecords = false;
FusionPro.Composition.startRecordNumber = 1;
FusionPro.Composition.endRecordNumber = 2000;

The combination of those two rules should generate numbers from 16001 to 18000.

Alternately, you could do this with repeated records, setting FusionPro.Composition.repeatRecordCount in OnRecordStart and using FusionPro.Composition.repeatRecordNumber in your text rule.

2) Leading Zeros - Is there a way to do leading zeros in the rules? Many of our previous numbering jobs (from PSM) require leading zeros. The only way I could find to do it was to use it as a part of the rule ( return "000" + like the manual example states) which is fine unless the numbers span from from tens to hundreds, etc.

You can use the FormatNumber function, like so:

return FormatNumber("000000", CurrentRecordNumber());

Where you put zeros to match the total number of digits you want, with the leading zeroes.

Putting this all together, you can solve both of these problems with a rule like this:

return FormatNumber("000000", CurrentRecordNumber() + 16000);

• 2 months later...

I just used the "sequential numbering rule", added 2 pages under Manage Pages to account for the 3 part form I was numbering. It seemed to do OK.

I would appreciate any comments you may have as I am a new user and am certainly open to learning better and faster ways.

Thanks.