Choose custom .cfg at output?

We have a single template with multiple page sizes (so that we can utilize common rules for all). We would like to merge separate data files (each with multiple records) for each template size and have the output imposed. I see that there is a line in the config file for path to imposition file. Is there a way that we could either 1) have multiple .cfgs (one per page size/imposition) which are called at the output stage via a rule, 2) have multiple .cfgs determined server-side based on a file name, or 3) edit a single .cfg at composition based on data/file name? If none of these option are possible, is there an alternative that would allow us to apply unique impositions to each unique page size in a template?

There's only one CFG (job settings) file, and one FPI (imposition) file, per composition. I think what you need to do is use some logic in OnRecordStart to only output certain pages (of certain sizes) based on some input data, so that you can do a run for a particular page size, then apply the appropriate FPI file for each run. Or, use the DIF API to modify the page sizes in the template, then compose with the appropriate FPI file. You can always edit the FPI file programmatically for each run as well.

There's only one CFG (job settings) file, and one FPI (imposition) file, per composition.

This would work with our data files as we are receiving a separate file for each size. I was under the impression there was only one CFG and one FPI per FP template. If instead, those files can change between compositions, how/where would I set up the logic to choose the appropriate files for the current composition?

You can use multiple .cfg files for the same template. I do this whenever I need to have a customer proof a file that is on a pre-printed shell. I have a separate .cfg file that I name "templateName-custProof.cfg" that would show the background in the output to show the customer over the web the effect of the full piece as it will look like printed. When they approve the output appearance, we have them click a separate "approved" button that then activates the same template but uses a different .cfg file called "templateName-final.cfg" that removes the background of the pdf file and imposes the output to match the printed sheet. Both .cfg files point to the same .dif and the same template file. The only difference is the command line for the call to FusionPro Server.

Added note: I have also found that you can have multiple .dif files as well as multiple .cfg files for the same template.

Good Luck,

To clarify, David is correct that you can have any number of CFG, FPI, or DIF files used with any given template. In fact, jobs which use the DIF API rely upon this. However, my statement was also true, that you can only have one CFG or FPI file for any given composition run (instance). (Note that you can use multiple DIF files within a composition using the <record format="***"> tag.)

Where you would set up the logic to use different files for any give composition run would be in the code in your web application, which is presumably creating the command-line for FusionPro Server. A web-to-print app can generate or modify any of the files used for composition, including the CFG (job settings), DIF (layout), DEF (data definition), and FPI (imposition) files, as well as the input file.

The new FusionPro Web Service will facilitate running FP Server with various job settings specified in the API without the need to modify these low-level files or generate a command-line.

Archived