HELP! New FPDirect 7.1 User - No VPS or PPML output?

Jerm

Hi,

We've been using FP Desktop for a couple of years now and have recently upgraded to FP Direct 7.1 and FP Desktop 7.1.

FP Direct is running on an HP ML350 with Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2-2GB RAM...

FP Desktop is on a desktop PC running Windows XP SP3 with 4GB RAM...

For some reason we are unable to output VPS (Single File or Multi File) or PPML. The connection to FP Direct seems fine as we can easily process Multi-Page PDF output, but we really need to output Single File VPS or PPML.

After we submit the job to FPDirect, it seems to process but then writes a 0Kb VPS file. I did notice that there is no option on FP Direct Configuration for Single File VPS Output...only Multi File VPS so we had FP Direct set to VDX and FP Desktop set for VPS.

Is there any documentation available for how to Configure FP Direct to accomplish the necessary output type? From the information I've posted above does it look as though we're missing something or have something set wrong?

Please advise ASAP as we have taken on a lot of variable data work because of upgrading to FP Direct.

Thanks in advance for any help!

-Jeremy

For some reason we are unable to output VPS (Single File or Multi File) or PPML. The connection to FP Direct seems fine as we can easily process Multi-Page PDF output, but we really need to output Single File VPS or PPML.

After we submit the job to FPDirect, it seems to process but then writes a 0Kb VPS file.

Can you compose to VPS directly from FP Desktop? If not (or even if you can), please send the job to Support for analysis.

I did notice that there is no option on FP Direct Configuration for Single File VPS Output...only Multi File VPS so we had FP Direct set to VDX and FP Desktop set for VPS.

You don't "set" FP Direct to any particular output format. The configuration utility doesn't define the output format for submitted jobs; each job defines its own output format at submission time, in the Composition Settings dialog in FP Desktop.

The "Options specific to output format" area on the FP Direct Configuration Utility merely affects how jobs which happen to be submitted to one of those formats get processed. For certain "thin" (multi-file) output formats, you may need to define a location for external resources such as graphics, and sometimes an environment or URI setting, so that the RIP can process resources from those locations. You can set a different external graphics/resources path for each of these multi-file output formats, by selecting each one in the list and entering the appropriate settings. But there are no such settings for external resources for "fat" (single-file) output formats, since all the graphics are embedded in the output file or metafile. So there's nothing extra to configure for those formats.

Is there any documentation available for how to Configure FP Direct to accomplish the necessary output type? From the information I've posted above does it look as though we're missing something or have something set wrong?

Again, you can't set the output format from the configuration; it's a per-job setting. I suspect the issue is just a general problem with your job in 7.1, which has nothing to do with the fact that you're composing with FP Direct.

Archived