Remove Hidden Page Content With JS

ksulliv1

Hi, for years now I have been using Acrobat combined with the Quite Imposition Pro plug in to do any and all impsotion tasks. One of the great features with Quite is that if you are imposing a PDF that has been cropped (which we all know since version 5 doesn't really crop anything, it just masks it from view.......stupid) and you only want to use the viewable content and omit the cropped area, there was an option you could check to not include the bleed area and it would work just the way you would expect it to. However I am now trying to use FusionPro Imposer (FPI) for the first time and don't see any way to produce this kind of result from a FP'd PDF that was originally cropped to finish size. I have got days of development into this PDF (only because I am new to this and not very good at it yet) and don't want to start all over with a brand new PDF file. Is there a way to write a JS code that would do this? I have read on a board elswhere where a MAC user was able to do it with an AppleScript command where he basically changed the "media area" of the document to be equal to the "crop area". I have posted this in the FP Desktop thread also, so jsut in case there is a solution within the app itself, you can answer it there.

I read your post twice, but can't tell if you have a PDF that is the trim size and want to include bleed, or if your PDF has bleed included and you want just the trim.

For the latter, you can just crop the PDF in Acrobat. For the former, the PDF would have to have been created with bleed included. If you created the PDF minus the bleed from the original design app, odds are bleed does not exist in the PDF.

Having said that, I'm also not sure what you mean by "days of development" in current PDF? If you mean you have days of work in FP, you can always recreate a correct PDF with bleed, import it into your current FP PDF template and copy the variable frames to the correct respective pages. You shouldn't have to recreate the FP elements from scratch.

I read your post twice, but can't tell if you have a PDF that is the trim size and want to include bleed, or if your PDF has bleed included and you want just the trim.

For the latter, you can just crop the PDF in Acrobat. For the former, the PDF would have to have been created with bleed included. If you created the PDF minus the bleed from the original design app, odds are bleed does not exist in the PDF.

Having said that, I'm also not sure what you mean by "days of development" in current PDF? If you mean you have days of work in FP, you can always recreate a correct PDF with bleed, import it into your current FP PDF template and copy the variable frames to the correct respective pages. You shouldn't have to recreate the FP elements from scratch.

Ok what I have is a file that was created oversize with bleed area and trim marks, and what I want to use in FPI is just the trim size. I have already cropped the PDF to the trim size, but as I said, when cropping in Acrobat it doesn't really remove anything it just masks it off so it appears cropped on the screen, but in reality all the information is still in the file and when you try to impose it, the software sees all the document information including the area that was cropped off. When I first tried to impose my file using FPI it told me that the copy was larger than the page size once I had set the columns and rows to the desired amount. That was the reason for my original question about making the media box be the same as the crop box on files that have been cropped within Acrobat. However I have since learned that what happeded was that FPI loaded the file and viewed the cropped off area in the PDF as "bleed" and included it by populating that dimension in the bleed window automatically on the first step. As this was my first time using the app I didn't know it did that without asking if I want to use the bleed area or not. But I have since learned that all that is required is for me to go back and set the bleed to zero, and it uses only the crop box. So fixes the issue for getting FPI to impose the file the way I want. But I would still be interested in knowing if there is a way to REALLY AND TRUELY delete the infromation that has be cropped off using adobe's crop pages. There is a option under the Document menu called "Examine Document" and supposibly you can check the box for "Deleted hidden page and image content" and click ok and it is supposed to remove it completely from the file, but sadly this doesn't work correctly either. So I was hoping there was a way to run a JavaScript that would essentially change the media box of the file to match the crop box information. Because there are times when you may need to crop some content off the top or bottom of a document that is confidential before sending it off to somebody else. But all the second person has to do is go back into the crop pages window and set everything back to zero, and it restores all of the original information because it was never actually removed. There must be a way to really remove it.

As for the days of development, yes I meant in FP development because I'm new, and would love to know more regarding importing a new PDF into my current FP PDF and getting it all to work. Is there a section in the FP Desktop User Guide that covers this in detail?

Thanks,

Since customers love to send PDFs with every press mark they can possibly choose, I typically place these PDFs in InDesign first and then export a fresh PDF with our specific settings. In this way, I can control bleed amount, downsampling, marks, color and font embedding. 9 out of 10 customer-supplied PDFs fail on our Indigo RIP anyway.

I'm not sure whether the User Guide goes into much detail about updating the FP template with new static art. As mentioned earlier, I usually just add my updated PDF to the existing template file and move the variable frames as necessary, then delete the "old" pages. I have handled this differently, but this is typically the easiest method for our workflow.

I think @rpaterick has a post talking about exporting PDFs from InDesign using the FP plug-in in such a way that you can update your FP template without any copying and pasting, but I have not had any luck with the plug-in since it does not seem to flatten transparencies which is a problem for us on press. It may be an option for you to consider though.

Archived